I'm going to start a no-kill animal shelter. I don't care how many loans I have to take out and how many people I have to hire. I'll do fundraising with all the free time I have. I don't care what it takes. I can't stand the thought of animals being abused, abandoned, left to die, or euthanized at shitty shelters because they don't have enough room, or because the animal is "unadoptable." Every animal is adoptable, but you have to find the right people. There ARE people out there who will take disabled animals, and there ARE people out there who have the patience to train and love an angry animal. These shelters just aren't looking hard enough.
But I can't do this all on my own. I need help, and lots of it. Please, if you can help an any way, even hook me up with some connection you have, let me know. This is what I will need:
1) Someone to help me get it started with a website. I need to advertise as much as I can so I can get more volunteers.
2) People to help me with ideas for and execution of fundraising. I will need a lot of it. Just think, I'll need to lease a building, buy stuff for cages, phone service, collars and leashes, food... and all the other regular bills to pay.
3) A veterinarian who will do work for free or low prices. The animals I bring in will undoubtedly need veterinary care for any preexisting problems, and I will always spay/neuter animals adopted out, because lord knows I don't want MORE homeless animals.
4) Someone who knows something about buildings. I will need to lease a building to use as the shelter, obviously, and I know nothing about what to look for in a "good building" or anything like that.
5) People to help with construction. I'll need to build cages for the animals, of course, to keep them separated.
6) An attorney to guide me through the legal process. Someone who will do it pro-bono. I have to file for incorporation to get taxes exempted, and a bunch of other stuff.
Please please please give me any help you can. I have to do this, and I will. Maybe I'll be Michigan's youngest person to run a shelter.
Even if you have a thought running through your head like "Well, my uncle is a lawyer, but I doubt he would help," tell me. I'm pretty damn good at getting people to help for a worthy cause. So please, anything you can think of, I would really appreciate it.
I'm in Ypsilanti, MI and I'm hoping to have the shelter between here and Lansing.